The Committee had a meeting last night, to sort out how we would like this group to run and we have come up with some exciting changes.
1) A new email address email@example.com This email can now be accessed by ALL Committee members and I will no longer have to forward emails to the different members. I don’t mind doing that but this step is a very logical one, now we are growing.
2) How the meeting will run. We are going to try and keep the business side of the meetings to no more than half an hour. We don’t have a lot of business so this will give us time for two new things.
3) Question and Answer. Using the new email address, email us a query, help wanted etc, before each meeting and we will endeavour to have an answer for you at the meeting. I know that some of you can’t get to meetings but still send us your queries and we will try to help out.
4) Show and Tell. Each month we will ask you to show us or tell us about what you are researching. This is your group and we want you to take an active role in the meetings. We are working on these two things taking around 45 minutes and will be followed by
5) Our Guest Speaker. Each month we will try and have someone talk on a topic relating to family history. If we don’t have a speaker that month we will have hands on workshop, with your own laptop, again looking at different aspects of family history.
6) Outings. Something we are looking into but they will be on a weekday and you will have to make your own way to the different venues. This is due to how our insurance is setup. More about that once we have looked into it more
7) Membership Cards. These will happen, soon and all financial members will get a card.
8) Newsletter. We will need your input here, stories etc and we are working out what format to produce it in. It should happen early 2015
9) For financial members our Christmas Party will be Friday 5 December 2014 at Panania Diggers. More details to come.
The meeting was very productive and ideas were discussed. We are still looking for a Minutes Secretary but have had a lady come forward to fill that position. This will be voted on Tuesday.
Tuesday, our guest speaker will be Allan Murrin, talking on NSW’s Birth, Death and Marriages. Well worth the visit.
Last Thursday I accepted a cheque from the Bankstown District Sports Club, in the form of a Seeding Grant. This money will help us meet the tasks we have set in motion. New flyers are going to be printed and distributed to other areas. I will contact Australian Family Tree Connection magazine, with a view of having a permanent listing in their Where to Go section. Any suggestions as to how we can ‘spread the word’ about this group will be very welcome. Other ideas we have looked at is local market stall at Panania and Revesby markets and trying to get local newspapers to do a story on us.
Bye for now and have a great weekend.Lilian Magill